Thursday, January 31, 2013

Am I Crazy or are Groceries More Expensive?

Am I crazy, or are food prices rising with every grocery trip?  I didn't know if I was just more conscious of pricing now, or if food really did cost more, so I tried to find out.  I started keeping a "price book" of some of my favorite brands, meats and dairy and guess what - it's not my imagination!

According to the US Department of Agriculture, food prices are expected to rise 3.5% - 5.0% in 2013.  The price increase is mostly due to a 40% jump in the price of corn, soybeans and wheat due to a drought in the Midwest.  The average family of 4 spends roughly $12,000 per year on groceries. If we use the 5% number, that's around $615.00 additional dollars for food this year.

As if that isn't enough - have you seen the change in your paycheck this week? Payroll taxes are increasing for everyone as a result of a credit that was not renewed.

Have I made the case for couponing yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment