Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I Hate Extreme Couponers

Have you ever watched the TLC show "Extreme Couponers"?  I hate that show!!!  As with most reality television, it portrays couponers as selfish hoarders who would throw their grandmother down in the produce aisle to score some free bananas. And what do they end up with?  75 bottles of hot sauce and 100 jars of baby food. Gee, that will feed my family this week!

Real life couponing is much different than reality television. Could I do what those ladies do....yes. Would it help my family....no.  My style of saving is a little different. I strive for a 40-60% yearly savings rate on my groceries and drug store purchases. Last year, Alan estimated that we saved almost $9,000 through my couponing. That's a lot of hot sauce and baby food!

In that savings are things that a normal family needs to survive - laundry detergent, pet food, milk, eggs, bread and meat. I still pay money at the check out, but I have what I need at a decent savings. I have a stockpile too, but it contains lots of tomatoes, pasta, toilet paper, laundry detergent and toothpaste. No use stockpiling it if my family won't eat it.

If this type of savings appeals to you, then follow my blog. If you want more, there are tons of books and websites about extreme couponing. Just Google the subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment