Sunday, February 17, 2013

How to "Read" Sale Cycles

It's been a slow coupon week so I've been cleaning out my massive binder. I usually keep a separate envelope of expiring coupons so I can use them, but I've just been too busy lately to organize them! As I was sorting, I thought it would make a good post to talk about sales cycles.

There are TONS of coupons expiring at the end of February - more than a normal month. When I look ahead to Sunday coupon inserts, there isn't a big week coming for a while. What does that mean? It means that the sales cycle is about to change.  Different products are on sale at different times of the year, so available coupons will reflect those sales.

When you think of these rotten winter months (can you tell I'm a beach girl) what products do you use?  Soup, hot chocolate, lotion, cold medicine, cough drops, etc. These are also the products which are on sale and have the most coupons. You don't see coupons right now for suntan lotion, but you will!

February is National Hot Breakfast Month, and if you look in today's Martin's flyer, you'll see instant savings on Quaker Oatmeal products. Makes sense, right?

So what does that mean for us coupon queens?  Two words my friends - STOCK UP!  I have a nice little stockpile of soup, about 10 bottles of lotion, Halls cough drops and lots of lip balm. Think about the amount of product you will use in a month, then multiply it by 3. That's the amount of stockpile you should keep if you have good coupons. You don't need a garage full of stuff because the sales cycle will switch again (and again, and again).

If you see me in the stores this week, I'll have my smaller envelope of expiring coupons with me. I just hate to throw them away! I'll try Dollar Tree first and see how much I can get.




No comments:

Post a Comment