Monday, February 11, 2013

Your Secret Saving Weapon.....

Was clipping coupons from yesterday's inserts and found one that made me want to blog!  It was for $3.00 off any 2 Nivea lip care products. My first thought - FREE Valentine's gifts for my daughter and niece!  Then I realized that I haven't told you about my extra, secret couponing weapon - how to shop at the Dollar Tree!

The Dollar Tree started accepting coupons nationally about a year ago, and our local store a few months ago. They will accept at face value (no doubling) any "real" coupon - which they define as non-Internet coupons. One exception - they will take up to 2 Internet coupons in any one transaction. And yes, I have been known to walk into the parking lot, then walk back in and use 2 more Internet coupons! I have no shame when I'm saving.

Our local Dollar Tree requires the patience of a saint to use coupons, but I've found that a good attitude and some kindness toward the cashiers goes a long way.  They have been asked to accept coupons, but have not been given the scanners to make that process easy. So, they have to enter each one manually. Now, when they see me coming with my binder, they will usually direct me to a particular cashier (or a manager) who can help me.

Now back to our Nivea coupon. Dollar Tree has Nivea Strawberry Lip Balm for $1.00. Since the coupon says buy 2, that would make my purchase $2.00. The coupon is for $3.00  - you can't make money at Dollar Tree (you can at other places) but you can walk out with a free purchase.

I've found Dollar Tree to be a true treasure hunt. They are stocking more and more name brands for just $1.00, which means lots and lots of free or close to free products. My rock bottom stock up price for most toiletries is $.50  and I can find lots of toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, body wash, hair products, pens and pencils, etc. for that price with coupons.  Some of my recent scores were Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner for .50 and Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate for free.

In the past, Dollar Stores had the reputation for stocking expired products, but now they are really competing with major retailers. I've purchased soup, tuna, etc. there also.

If you go this week - save some lip balm for me!


1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that it's the absolute best place to purchase pepperoni!!!! If you always clip or print Hormel coupons, you'll have pepperoni in your freezer for just .50 each!

    ReplyDelete